Basilica de la sagrada familia barcelona
La sagrada familia facts
The Sagrada Família Schools (Catalan: Escoles de la Sagrada Família, Spanish: Escuelas de la Sagrada Familia) building was constructed in 1909 by the modern Spanish architect Antoni Gaudí near the site of the Basílica de la Sagrada Família. It was a small school building for the children of the workers building the Sagrada Família, although other children of the neighborhood attended, especially from the underprivileged classes.
The building has a rectangular footprint of 10 m (33 ft) by 20 m (66 ft), and contains three classrooms, a hall, and a chapel, with lavatories in an addition to the building. The construction was done with a brick facade in three overlapping layers, following the Catalan technical tradition. Both the walls and the roof have a wavy form that gives the structure a sensation of lightness but, at the same time, great strength. On the exterior three areas intended as open-air classrooms were covered with iron pergolas.
The building has been seen as an example of constructive genius and has served as a source of inspiration for many architects for its simplicity, stamina, original volume, functionality, and geometrical purity. Its undulating form has been applied by architects like Le Corbusier, Pier Luigi Nervi, Felix Candela, and Santiago Calatrava.
sagrada familia 2021
This article does not cite any sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.Find sources: «Sagrada Família» Barcelona Metro – news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sagrada Família is a metro station in Barcelona Metro network. It is named after the famous, and adjacent, Basílica i Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família, a church first designed by architect Antoni Gaudí and still under construction. It is served by TMB-operated Barcelona Metro lines L2 and L5.
The L5 section of the station was the first to open, with the opening, in 1970, of the line between Diagonal and Sagrera. The L2 section followed in 1995, with the opening of the line between Sant Antoni and this station.
sagrada familia interior
The Sagrada Família is Barcelona’s indisputable icon and Antoni Gaudí’s masterpiece. It is the city’s most visited monument. It is recognisable from afar thanks to its sky-scraping towers, while its two exterior facades impact visitors at its site. However, it is inside where Gaudí’s genius is most evident. The basilica is still under construction and is not expected to be completed until 2026.
Its towers, visible from numerous points in the city, have become a characteristic element of Barcelona. Their objective is to indicate the path to the basilica for pilgrims. Barcelona cannot be conceived of without this expiatory church, to which Antoni Gaudí dedicated 40 years of his life.
Construction of the Sagrada Família or to give it its full title in English the Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family, which has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, started in 1883 and is still not finished. As he knew that he would not be able to complete the project in his lifetime, Gaudí bequeathed his plans to his successors and, since his death in 1926, the Modernista genius has been watching over their progress from his tomb in the crypt.
sagrada familia history
Its form is pseudo-basilica, vaulted over five aisles, the outer two divided into chapels. The transept is truncated. The east end is a chevet of nine radiating chapels connected by an ambulatory. The high altar is raised, allowing a clear view into the crypt.
The choir stalls retain the coats-of-arms of the knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece. In his first trip into Spain, Charles, the future Holy Roman Emperor, selected Barcelona as the site of a chapter of his Order. The king had arrived for his investiture as Count of Barcelona, and the city, as a Mediterranean port, offered the closest communication with other far-flung Habsburg dominions, while the large proportions of the cathedral would accommodate required grand ceremonies. In 1518 the Order’s herald, Thomas Isaac, and its treasurer, Jean Micault, were commissioned to prepare the sanctuary for the first sitting of the chapter in 1519. Juan de Borgonya executed the painted decoration of the sanctuary.
«The church was named after Barcelona’s patron saint Eulalia; its official name – Catedral de la Santa Creu i Santa Eulalia – is Catalan for «Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia». The commonly used name La Seu refers to the status of the church as the seat of the diocese.»